COVID-19 Hospital Cash
Who can apply for COVID-19 Hospital Cash?
Account holders of National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited (“NCB”) who are
legal residents in Jamaica for at least 6 consecutive months
aged 18 and above
fully KYC compliant on NCB’s records
not currently covered under a COVID-19 Hospital Cash Plan
To sign up, the applicant will need to declare that he/she has not:
Travelled overseas against travel advice (including non-essential travel) from the
Government of Jamaica or any of its Ministries
Been previously diagnosed or tested positive for COVID-19
What does the COVID-19 Hospital Cash plan cover?
The COVID19 Hospital Cash Plan covers customers who are diagnosed with COVID-19 and hospitalized for a period of not less than 24 consecutive hours in a Government run hospital. Such customers will be able to make a claim for a $70,000 lump sum benefit.
The policy also provides a 14-day free coverage in relation to COVID-19 with no waiting period if the customer applies between May 17, 2020 until May 30, 2020 or during any promotional period.
How can a customer sign up for it?
Sign up is online on https://hospitalcash.jncb.com
When does the 14-day free coverage start?
The 14-day free coverage is available if the customer applies between May 17, 2020 until May 30, 2020 or during any promotional and will start on the date that you successfully apply for the insurance coverage. Applicants will receive an email from NCB Insurance Company (NCBIC) within 1-3 hours of submitting their applications to advise whether the application was successful.
What happens when the 14-day free coverage ends?
Three (3) to five (5) business days before the free period ends, NCBIC will send an email to you asking if you want to extend the coverage for a JM$300 monthly premium. To extend coverage the customer will be required to provide details of an active NCB account from which premiums are to be deducted.
Are there any exclusions or restrictions on the policy?
The Policy Owner must be hospitalized due to COVID-19 for at least one (1) full day for the benefit to be paid. The insurance benefit will not be paid if the Policy Owner:
- Tested positive for COVID-19 on or before the date of application for the insurance coverage
- Is admitted to the hospital for a reason other than COVID-19 (e.g. pregnancy, bone fracture, heart failure, stroke, etc.) on or after the effective date of the insurance coverage and during the hospitalization he/she is not diagnosed with COVID-19
- Travelled overseas against travel advisory (including non-essential travel) from the Government of Jamaica or any of its Ministries
- Was diagnosed with COVID-19 less than 30 days from the application date – this applies only if the application was made outside a promotional period. (There is no waiting period if you apply for coverage during a promotional period).
How do I pay my insurance premiums?
Insurance premiums are collected automatically every month from a dedicated NCB saving or chequing account. The coverage will terminate if you do not have sufficient funds in your account to pay your premiums. You will not be able to reapply for coverage if the policy is terminated.
Is there any time period within which to make a claim?
Yes. Claims must be made within 90 days of the receipt of the positive test for COVID 19 and being hospitalized due to COVID-19.
What is the process to make a claim?
To make a claim, the Policy Owner should:
- download the Claim Form found on NCBIC’s website at www.ncbinsurance.com
any other means notified by NCBIC
- attach the evidence of hospitalization and evidence of a positive diagnosis of COVID-19
NCBIC may ask for further information as it may reasonably need to process the claim.
How many COVID-19 Hospital Cash Plans can customers buy?
Persons can be covered under only one Plan. Also, if for any reason your coverage is terminated (including if there are insufficient funds in your account to cover the premium), you cannot apply for coverage again.
When does the insurance coverage terminate?
Coverage will terminate if:
- A COVID-19 Hospital Cash Benefit is paid to the Policy Owner under this Policy
- The Policy Owner no longer has a bank account from which NBCIC collects the premiums
- The Policy Owner dies
- There is insufficient funds in the bank account from which NBCIC collects the premiums to cover your monthly premium when it is due
- NCBIC no longer offers the coverage to customers. At least a 30-day notice will be given where NCBIC intends to discontinue coverage
- NCBIC has to terminate the policy in order to comply with any law or directive.
Would I receive the benefit if I am diagnosed with COVID-19 but I am not hospitalized?
No. The COVID-19 Hospital Cash benefit is only payable in the event of hospitalization in a public Government run hospital. Persons who are quarantined at home, at facilities set-up by the government as a temporary hospital or at any other place would not be covered.
Would I receive the benefit if I am diagnosed with COVID-19 while being hospitalized for another reason?
Yes, if a person is diagnosed with the COVID-19 while hospitalized for health reasons other than COVID-19, the benefit will still be payable as long as it does not conflict with the exclusion stated in Q6.
Would I receive the benefit if I am diagnosed with COVID-19 and I’m hospitalized for another reason?
No. The COVID-19 Hospital Cash benefit is only payable in the event of hospitalization due to COVID-19. If a customer is hospitalized for any health reasons other than COVID-19 then the benefit would not be payable.
How do I contact NCBIC for further details on the COVID 19 Hospital Cash Plan?